Sunday, February 22, 2009

One day in my life.

Yesterday was an especially challenging and inspiring day.
[That was probably the most sentimental you will read from me unless one of my dearest friends--i gush over my dearest ones, and my favorite poets, all the time...]

Running long distances gives my body and brain a collaborative project--much like writing poetry. And reading [[all kinds of reading is meant]].

I have struggled most of my life with feeling WHOLE... making my brain and body one BODY... and running gives me that. poetry can give me that. and they can take it away, too.

anyway.

last night, after the run, the victory breakfast, the shower, the rest, the eating... i went to

The So and So Series in Raleigh to hear

Rachel Blau DuPlessis * Elisa Gabbert * Tony Tost

read.

a bunch of us Durham folk were there... and that was most excellent, as was the relaxed feeling i got from knowing i had NOTHING to do with the reading! i wasn't hosting. i wasn't reading. this has become a rare occurrence the past couple years.

of course, i was still relaxed [and footcrampedrightquadcharliehorsed] from the race.

it was cool to hear Elisa read [she has a poem in which she talks about there being no GOOD bars in San Francisco.... ahem]

and Tony, of course [though he's still dissing Complex Sleep...]

and Rachel.

i have to say Rachel, besides being one of my new most favorite people in Durham, blew my mind.

this poem Draft 89 did it.

you know i keep quiet about the mechanics of my brain on poetry. and i will continue to do so.

it isn't because i'm shy or nervous about it... it is because i don't want to share. it is like running-- a solitary and, yeah, spiritual experience.

i bet running and
poetry are much like death [not dying]

this poem, Draft 89... really got into my head, and body...

i went to bed thinking about it

i woke up at 5:30 this morning

thinking about it

i'm STILL thinking about it

i may have to write to it

i may have to gush over Rachel Blau DuPlessis every time i see her for the rest of my life.

but, she would deserve it... what a gift... how often can a poem get you like this one got me?

it is rare.

No comments: